When the Pelham Civic Association promoted this past weekend - April 13 & 14 – as “Joe Solimine Weekend” we had no idea of how tremendous the support would be from the entire Town of Pelham for Joe and his family in his fight against Leukemia, and his mission to raise awareness of this insidious blood disease:
- Joe & his family and a band of volunteers – and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) – accommodated 565 successful “swabs” (potential bone marrow donors) at the “Swab for Snooks” swabbing event at the Pelham Country Club.
- The Town of Pelham presented Joe with an Official Resolution, declaring April 13 and April14 as “Joe Solimine Weekend” in the Town of Pelham.
- The Pelham Board of Education and Pelham Recreation named the varsity diamond at the Glover Field complex “Joe Solimine Field”.
- The Pelham Little League honored Joe as the 2013 Grand Marshall of their Parade as he proudly walked down 5th Avenue handing out his baseball cards with information on how to donate to “Team Snooks” and the LLS.
- The Picture House presented Joe as their host as he gave a speech on baseball to the kids and their parents before the showing of a baseball movie.
- And the Pelham Civics’ two-day raffle at DeCiccos raised $13,410.00 for our brother Joe and his Team Snooks Leukemia & Lymphoma Society account.
So if anybody knows how to say “thank you” to a selfless volunteer who relentlessly works hard for the individuals and families of his community, it’s Pelham.
But remember, that while this weekend may be over, the fund raising job of Joe and his family continues. So for those who haven’t done so already, please go online and donate towww.teamsnooks.com or call 888-557-7177 and mention “Team Snooks” – Joe’s official LLS account.
And “Tell ‘em you’re from Pelham!”