Please “Save-the-Date”! Friday October 27, 2017. It’s when the Pelham Civic Association will be hosting their 78th Annual Dinner Dance Gala at The Fountainhead, in New Rochelle. A fabulous venue for a terrific, fun and exciting time that is set out to be Pelham’s “social highlight of the year!” The Pelham Civic Association - one of Westchester County’s most active, volunteer charitable organizations, assisting the youth, the elderly, the financially needy and the physically and mentally challenged - will proudly honor its 2017 Persons of the Year: Bill Taubner and Bob Tracy. Founded in 1939, the Pelham Civics is one of New York State’s most active volunteer, charitable organizations. This award-winning association is dedicated to assisting the youth, the elderly, the financially needy, and the mentally and physically challenged. According to Pelham Civic President, Ken Shirreffs, “We are extremely proud to be honoring two individuals - Bill and Bob - who have made a significant difference in enhancing the quality of life in Pelham… particularly with their exemplary efforts in helping those in need.” Here’s is a description of the two who will be honored at the October 27th Gala:
William Frederick “Bill” Taubner, Sr.
Bill Taubner has been - and continues to be - an exemplary pillar of our community, extremely altruistic and benevolent to charities, causes, individuals and families. And Bill prefers to keep them anonymous. Rest assured, one can always depend on Bill to assist where help is needed… whether it be for an individual, a community project, or a school initiative.
Bill was born, raised and resides in Pelham Manor, having attended Pelham Schools Grades 1-12. Married to Catherine Walsh, they have two children: Catherine and Billy. He is the Executive VP of BCM Corp - the world’s largest manufacturer of metal ball chain, as well as Logotags & Shimmerscreen. He attended Bucknell University & Iona College.
Here are just a few of his benevolent endeavors and leadership roles:
• Chairman, Village of Pelham Manor Planning Board
• Member, Pelham Civic Association
• VP/Board of Directors- MINT: Mental Health Initiative
• Board of Directors, New York School for the Deaf
• Coach, Pelham Ice Hockey
• Dinner Host, Pelham Public Library Novel Night Fundraiser
• Board of Directors/Boys & Girls Head Coach, Pelham Little League
• Boys & Girls Head Coach, Pelham Rec Soccer
• Chair, Platform Tennis/Travers Is Committee- New York Athletic Club
• Chair, Amer. Platform Tennis Men’s/Women’s Nat. Championships
• Fundraising Committee, PMHS- PTA
• Co-Chair, Fundraising Committee, Pelham Middle School- PTA
• Parent Volunteer, Siwanoy School-PTA
• Den Leader, Pelham Cub Scouts
• Committee Member, Jennifer Monachino Lapey for Mayor of Village of Pelham Manor
A “humanitarian” in the truest sense of the word, Bill’s selflessness, generosity and benevolence have made Pelham a better community for all to live, and the Pelham Civics a stronger organization. We are proud to call him our Pelham Civic brother, and are honored to bestow upon him our Person of the Year Award for 2017.
Robert J. “Bob” Tracy
Bob Tracy has been one of the most valuable and effective members of the Pelham Civic Association for the past twenty years. His active volunteerism and leadership have resulted in the success of significant programs, projects and events that continue to have an enormous impact on our community.
Born in Manhattan and raised on Long Island, Bob went on to attend The College of the Holy Cross. After graduation, Bob served a volunteer year with the Jesuit Volunteer Corps as a drug abuse counselor in Houston, Texas. Bob returned to New York to attend St. John’s University School of Law where he met and married Marie McIntyre. He and Marie have two daughters, Kathryn and Maura. He is currently a Partner in the law firm of Gibney, Anthony & Flaherty LLP.
Bob has served the Pelham Civic Association as President, Chairman of the Board, Vice President of Youth Programs, Vice President of Community Programs, Secretary, and liaison to American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life.
Bob’s many talents and hard work have transcended the Pelham Civics into other worthwhile causes and charitable organizations throughout Pelham. The following represents just some of his other volunteer contributions:
• Vice President and Board Member of Pelham Education Foundation
• Board member and counsel to Hearts & Homes for Refugees
• Member and co-chair of Pelham Interfaith Council
• Alumni Interviewer & Class Co-Chair of Annual Giving, The College of the Holy Cross
• Village Attorney, Village of Pelham 2003-2008 (served as volunteer)
• OLPH, Lector and past member of Parish Finance Council
• Member, Citizens Nominating Committee
• Member, Pelham Middle School Construction Advisory Committee
• Commissioner, Coach, Publicity Coordinator- Pelham Recreation Soccer
• Coach, Pelham Recreation Softball
Bob’s unselfish spirit of giving has been evident from his year as a Jesuit Volunteer 35 years ago to his contributions to Pelham charities and organizations that continue to this day. Whenever Bob is asked to help, he says “yes.” It is this spirit of sacrifice and generosity toward others that makes our fellow Pelham Civic brother very special… and the recipient of our 2017 Person of the Year.
For those new in Town, The Pelham Civic Association is one of New York State’s most active volunteer, charitable organization dedicated to assisting the youth, the elderly, the financially needy, and the mentally and physically challenged throughout our community. Its many programs, projects and events are fueled through a fall fundraising drive that culminates at its Annual Dinner Dance Gala on October 27th at the beautiful Fountainhead in New Rochelle. So please “Save-the-Date” : October 27th.
Photos by Domenica Comfort